Born: June 1964 - Boston in Lincolnshire, England.
Height: 6 feet
Weight: 90-92 Kilos (At the start of a row).
Former Royal Marine and professional sailor.
Pairs Atlantic Crossing in 2001 with his brother Steve.
(Completed in 70 days 10 hours and 12 minutes).
Solo North Pacific attempt in 2003
(Returned to Japan with equipment failure after 12 days)
Solo North Pacific attempt in 2004
(Capsized and sunk two thirds of the way across after 109 days of the voyage having rowed 4,500 miles).
Pairs Atlantic Crossing in 2005 with Andrew Morris.
(Completed in 61 days 2 hours and 50 minutes).
Favourite Three Films:
1. Wonder boys
2. The Alamo (Remade version with Billy Bob Thornton)
3. Sand Pebbles (Closely followed by ‘Carry on Screaming’).
Favourite Film Star:
Steve McQueen (Closely followed by Sid James).
Favourite Three Songs:
1. Mr Bojangles (of course, be it Sammy, Robbie, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band or Nina Simone singing it. Even Ron Atkinson does a passable version)
2. ‘Little ol’ Wine drinker me’ (Dean Martin and only Dean Martin singing it, although my dad does a passable version).
3. ‘Charmed Life’ (Divine Comedy) See Atlantic 2005 section.
Steak and Kidney Pie (Don’t ask me why ‘cause I can’t stand Kidney)
Tea (Believe it or not)
Claim to Fame:
I once fell off the back of Jaque Villenurves Harley Davidson when he was giving me a lift in Monte Carlo. There is a post watershed claim to fame that arguably ‘Black Cats’ (Beats) this one but that’s for declaration over a beer rather than over the internet.
The Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.